Tuesday 8 October 2013

Spicing up your biscuit tin!

I adore baking! I always have. We have photographs of me helping my mum to bake as soon as I could stand next to her and lick a spoon! Snuggling down to watch Saint Delia (smith) on the telly with my mum was a huge part of my childhood. It was a skill I was keen to pass onto my daughter and she too has been joining me in the kitchen her entire life.

When she was a baby I would be rolling out biscuits with her strapped to me (In a sling I might add!) and she is now at 4 years old confident enough to make certain things with just a tiny amount of support. When Amelia-Rose and I bake together I am now relegated to official scale watcher. "Bit more....bit more....bit more...STOP too much" It's a very important job I'll have you know!

I enjoy developing my own recipes and thought it was high time to combine two of my great loves in life. Writing and Baking. So here we are. The Very Bendy Baker. I am the very bendy baker because I live with a chronic illness called Hypermobility Syndrome. It means amongst many other things my ligaments and muscles have a hard time supporting my joints so I am, you guessed it... very bendy! Chronic pain is a part of my life so I have had to adapt how I bake but I will never stop baking. I will be buried with a wooden spoon I'm sure!

So today it's all about spicing it up with these gorgeous little Spice Biscuits.

 
You will need:
50g /1/4 cup Diced butter
50g/ 1/4 cup Golden Syrup
 115g/ 1 cup self raising flour
1 tsp Bicarbonate of Soda
1tsp Ground Nutmeg
1 tsp Ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp Ground cloves
2 tsp Ground Ginger
If you want a slight crunch to your biscuit add 40g/ 3 tbsp Granulated sugar
Preheat your oven to 180'C
 
Firstly add the butter and golden syrup to a saucepan and set over a low heat and stir to prevent sticking. Do not let the mixture boil.
 
 
Once fully incorporated take off the heat and leave to cool for a few minutes
 
 
My kitchen is full of self indulgent silliness that I don't need but I love having. My cute little measuring cups are a perfect example of this! I have a drawer full of teaspoons but I could not resist the set of miniature measuring cups!
 
 
Now in a separate bowl sift together your flour, bicarbonate of soda and all your spices. If you have decided to use sugar add it to your flour mix. I dare you not to feel the slightest bit Christmassy working with all those wonderful spices!
 
 
Now you're going to add your sifted flour and spices to your cooled butter mix and stir with a wooden spoon until everything is well combined and forms a sticky dough.
 
 
Prepare two baking trays with grease proof paper and make small balls of dough about the size of a 10p piece. Very slightly push the dough down but you want to leave it fairly thick for a nice cake like biscuit.
 
 
 
 
 
 Put in the oven for about 8 minutes but keep a close eye on them. You don't want them to catch!
 
Place on a cooling rack and try to wait longer enough for them to cool before calling the family in to devour them!
 
 
 
Blessings x

1 comment: